So you thought that the vapors from the onion are meant only to make you cry? Well, they have got something good to do to your aching ears! All you need to do is prepare an onion ear muff. The warmth will alleviate our pain and the goodness of vapors will eliminate the infectious agents hiding right there inside your ear.
How to go about it
- Cut an onion into two halves and scoop out its innermost rings.
- Heat the onion until it is warm enough to produce steam.
- Take a towel and allow it to wrap the warm onion.
- Cup this over your affected ear until it retains warmth.
Repeat as per your needs to get relieved.
6. Garlic or Garlic oil
The versatile properties of garlic aren’t there just to add taste to your recipe. The key aromatic compound allicin in garlic codes for amazing antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that make infection causing microbes find an exit from your body.
Here’s how you can make use of garlic to treat ear infection
- Take few garlic cloves, crush them and wrap it in a piece of soft cloth.
- Place this cloth in your external ear for a good half an hour.
- Take some garlic cloves and heat it in a pan that has a teaspoon full of mustard or sesame oil.
- Let the mixture cook for few minutes.
- When the temperature comes down to a bearable point, gently massage the affected area by applying the prepared oil.
7. Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a convenient alternative to antiseptics. When applied to cuts, burns, and wounds, it releases oxygen that leads to foam formation. It is by virtue of this effervescence reaction that the affected area gets rid of infections and is cleaned in one go.
The same theory works for ear infection where the goal is to kill the infection causing microbes. But only if the ear drum isn’t punctured.
- Take a weak hydrogen peroxide solution (preferably 3% ) and put about 5-10 drops of it into your ear canal.
- In few seconds or so, you’ll feel foam-like sensation in your ear. Do not panic! This is normal.
- Lie down in a position with affected ear up and wait for the bubbling to stop. It may take 10-15minutes.
- Stand up and tilt your ear in opposite direction so as to drain out the excess solution.
- Wipe the peroxide remains with a cloth.
- Rinse your ear well with clean water. You may use a spray bottle for this purpose or simply go for a shower and hold your ear under water.
This will help you get rid of ear wax and the infectious particles that stick to it.
Microbes hate vinegar as it is toxic to them. The acidic environment that the presence of vinegar creates, doesn’t allow bacteria and other microorganisms to proliferate and this is the key to winning over infections.
Here’s how vinegar can help you get rid of ear infections
Follow these steps
- Use a sterile dropper to pour about 3-4 drops of white vinegar in the irritated ear.
- Lie down and relax till the vinegar reaches the site of action, i.e. deep inside your ear canal.
- Place a cotton plug to avoid leaking of the solution out of your ear as you walk.
- You can repeat the process several times a day or as and when required.
- You can replace vinegar with 50% solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide or vinegar and water.
Just ensure the temperature of these solutions before pouring them into your ear. They should be at room temperature.
9. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a proven alternative for prescription antibiotics that kill the good microbes too. The remedy has been into action since centuries and the effectiveness of the same in treating ailments has never disappointed patients.
As far as ear infection is concerned, application of tea tree oil unclogs the ear by removing dirt, kills the bacteria through its antimicrobial properties and relieves from pain through its anti-inflammatory properties.
Method to use tea tree oil for ear infection
- Take a bowl filled with about 2 cups of water.
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil to it and let the solution boil.
- Next, take the bowl off the stove.
- Lean over the bowl with a towel draped over your head.
- Inhale the steam for few minutes.
Alternatively, you may simply use tea tree oil while preparing your essential oil solution to irrigate your infected ear or go for a massage with few drops of tea tree oil.
10. Juices for ear infection
If you are using juices, you can be sure that you are getting the most of it. Juices are the best options to go for since the goodness is completely squeezed and the fluid nature ensures that the active ingredients reach exactly the site of action.
Here are some effective options that you can go for, to get your aching ear relieved.
- Juice from Basil leaves
Basil is known to reduce infection and pain. Prepare the basil juice as follows to get immediate relief from a discomforting ear.
- Take about 5-6 basil leaves and extract juice from it.
- Use this to wipe around the ear. Make sure that the juice doesn’t enter the ear.
- You may also want to mix readily available basil oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio and use the resulting solution to wipe the edges, back and inside of the ear with the help of cotton.
- Mango leaf juice
Extract of mango leaf is a magic remedy that kills pain in few minutes. To calm down your aching ear, you can use the mango leaf juice as below
- Crush few mango leaves to obtain a fresh extract.
- Slightly heat the juice. Do not let it boil. Let it be warm enough to soothe the painful ear.
- Put 3-4 drops of this juice in your ear and the job is done.
- When used for several times a day, it takes hardly 2-3 days to get away with the infection completely.