What could bring your more embarrassment than that food stuff that is stuck right in between your teeth, causing your breath turn bad! Even if you are lucky enough to not to face that humiliation, you can relate a number of incidences while you were close to a friend (or someone you love) who had bad breath.
Halitosis or as it is commonly known- bad breath, is a condition that can result from a lot many underlying causes and is known to affect quite a big proportion of the population. So you aren’t the only one who is secretly reading this article and hunting for the ways to get rid of it!!
Bad breath may result from poor oral hygiene, smoking, medications or certain medical conditions such as dry mouth and gastrointestinal problems. Let the cause be any, be happy for you don’t have to struggle with the problem anymore. We are here with the easiest and most effective home remedies to help you get away with bad breath.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The antiseptic properties and the acidic nature of apple cider vinegar make it hit this list. The former ensures that your mouth is free from plaque deposition while the later works towards eliminating the bad bacteria. Additionally, the solution also helps with the digestion. So with apple cider vinegar by your side, you are ready to deal with any of the causes of bad breath.
Here’s how to use it
Drink the solution
- Prepare your drink by adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it before every meal.
- Continue until your digestive system gets healthier and stop being a cause of bad breath.
Gargle with it
- Let apple cider vinegar deal with the food remains and bacteria in our mouth by gargling with its solution.
- Do not forget to spit out the solution after you have finished swishing your mouth all around for few minutes. Else, things might get worse.
Coconut oil is always a super healthy option to go for. It’s full of properties that are good enough to help you win the war against any infections. And the best part is its easy-ready-to use kind of ingredient. You do not need to buy special time to try remedies associated with it.
- Simply use a spoonful of coconut oil as a mouthwash.
- Swish it around for a good 20 minutes and then spit it out.
- Repeat this at least twice a day.
One of the leading contributors of bad breath is the acid imbalance in the body. Baking soda works on this corner and makes things right for you. Rush to your kitchen’s cupboard to collect this amazing ingredient.
- Make your own mouth rinse by mixing half a teaspoon of baking soda and a glass of water.
- Rinse your mouth twice a day with this solution for best results.
You can simply brush your teeth with baking soda powder.
Green tea has a lot more to offer than make you go crazy with what all it does to help you get back in shape. When it comes to treating bad breath, the antioxidants in the tea destroys the culprit compounds inhabiting your mouth. It is super effective! It wouldn’t be wrong to accept that the’ buzz –love’ for green tea all-around is what it deserves.
So drink your favorite green tea every day and be happy for the good it will do to your health! If you aren’t ‘green tea person’, you may try this recipe.
- Take half a liter of water and add a tablespoon Fenugreek seeds to it.
- Boil the mixture. (Let it simmer at least for 15-20 minutes)
- Strain and drink it. The healing properties of Fenugreek will help you fight bad breath.
Apart from being a pretty good garnish, Parsley has established its worth as a deodorizer that deals with bad breath. Being rich in chlorophyll, Parsley smartly neutralizes the bad breath.
All you need to do is
- Chop some parsley sprigs and grind few cloves.
- Now boil about two cups of water with these ingredients added to it.
- Remember to stir constantly, as the solution boils.
- When done, let it cool down. Strain it and your mouthwash is ready!
- Use it for gargling, four times a day.
If you are someone who doesn’t have access to kitchen or eats in a mess, this remedy is for you! You need not wander all around to collect ingredients as the most easily available, yet effective ingredient-common salt is right there on your dining table.
Salt is one of the oldest compounds that have been addressing a wide range of health issues since ever. It kills the bad bacteria partying in your mouth and throat and solves all of your mouth related issues right from bad breath to gum infections.
- Simply add a tablespoon or two of salt to a glass of water and boil it.
- When it is at a comfortable temperature point and warm enough to soothe you, gargle with it.
- Do it two times a day until your mouth’s condition turns good.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil aptly reserved its place amongst some of the top ingredients whose effectiveness has been established by the researchers. It’s super grade antibacterial properties are all that you can thank for.
To get rid of bad breath, you need to do this
- Add one or two drops of tea tree oil to your toothpaste and brush your teeth with it thoroughly.
- Prepare your homemade tea tree mouthwash by adding 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to a cup of warm water.
- Gargle with this solution after every meal.
Note : Do not swallow tea tree oil. Spit it and rinse your mouth well when done with the remedy.
Epsom salts work similar to common salt, the only additional benefit being that it does not play with your blood pressure. So if you are someone whose blood pressure fluctuates much, go for Epsom salt and water gargles instead.
Rinse your mouth with lemon juice (1 tablespoon juice + 1 cup water) and let the acidic content of lemon make the life of those bacteria hell! The remedy also addresses the issue of dry mouth which is a major contributor of bad breath.
Additionally, the strong smell of lemon masks the bad odor. So all round benefits you get to enjoy with this simple to do remedy.
Why to run for mouth fresheners, when herbs are right there to do the needful. This time, fennel seeds have come to rescue you from bad breath. With their fresh aroma, the scent like properties and proven positive impact on digestive health, fennel seeds have perfectly glued its place amongst the best remedies for bad breath.
- Chew half a tablespoon of fennel seeds after meals or throughout the day. Or
- Make your own fennel seed tea by boiling some seeds in water and use this preparation as a mouthwash.
Ginger has a pool of evidence that give it a green signal to be on any home remedy’s list. Amongst the rest, ginger’s one potent property is to beat bad breath. Thanks to its versatility that offers more than one ways to use it.
Follow any of these ways to use ginger remedy
- Make a juice by blending ginger with the lemon squeeze and hot water.
- Simply take a slice of lemon and chew it for a minute or so. When done, spit it out and drink water.
- Prepare ginger mouthwash solution by boiling ginger bits along with water. Or adding ginger juice to warm water.
Detox with water
Chronic bad breath isn’t something you should keep down on your priority list. It may be due to certain underlying digestive system related problems or bacterial infections due to contaminated food and water, that you have been ignoring since long.
It’s no doubt that a wise step is to eliminate the cause. And you can help your body in this process by aiding the detoxification process. Once you do this favor to yourself, your body will eventually get rid of toxins.
So drink plenty of water (at least 8-10 glasses per day) and consume as many fruit and vegetable juices as you can. The fibrous rich diet will effectively cleanse your body and eliminate the toxins that lead to infections and ailments.
Although gargling and using mouthwash multiple times a day is worth doing, but if you want to take an alternative path, go for this juice. It has cinnamon, lemon, honey, spinach, and parsley. The ingredients altogether eliminate the bacteria, neutralize the acids and work on the digestive system to help you recover your natural refreshing breath.
- Take 2 handfuls of spinach and a bunch of parsley. Wash and blend them well.
- Next, squeeze a whole lemon and pour some warm water into the blender.
- Blend the entire ingredients well.
- Finally, transfer the blended ingredients into a bowl and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon and about one and a half teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir well to obtain a uniform smoothie.
- Drink it every morning on empty stomach.
Yoga for Chronic Bad breath
Have a health issue? Yoga has the solution! This goes perfectly well with almost everything. From the day we realized the power of this physical exercise till today, yoga has amazed the world with its potential wonders.
Still, the idea of doing a physical workout for something so unrelated as bad breath might make you doubt on its effectiveness. But do not forget the fact that bad breath isn’t just because you haven’t brushed your teeth well. There are a lot many reasons such as diabetes, acidity, kidney problems and indigestion and so on that silently contributes to the elevation of the problem.
So leave about the beliefs, practice these asanas and feel the difference yourself!
- Padmasana or Sukhasana
- Sheetkari Pranayam
- Sheetali Pranayam
- Shankha Prakshalan
- Padma Sadhana
Note : It is always advised to consult the professionals and perform these yoga poses under their supervision to avoid mishaps and further complications.
FAQ on Bad Breath
Life hacks and Tips to Prevent Bad breath
The best way to escape from that ‘humiliating and embarrassing’ situation is to keep a check on yourself before it’s too late. And believe us, it’s easy! Easier than struggling with yourself for the remedies later on!
- Say NO to drinking alcohol and smoking.
Alcohol and tobacco decrease the saliva production in your mouth and sets a mini environment that is loved by the bacteria.
- Don’t use mouthwash before going to bed
Brush your teeth well but do not get influenced by the temporary freshness that mouthwashes offer. An hour later, they’ll dry up your mouth and invite bacteria.
- Clean your tongue too
If you are already brushing your teeth twice a day, do not relax! You aren’t doing enough. Your tongue can also be bacteria’s favorite party place if you miss cleaning it every day.
- Chew SUGARLESS gums
Chewing gums is good in a way that it offers freshening breath instantly. But make sure it is sugarless, else your teeth’s health is at risk. The sugars may erode your teeth and alter saliva production in your mouth.
- Drink good amount of water
When you are too lazy to do anything, simply drink water. Yes! It works. Water ensures that bacteria or toxins eliminate out to the best extent possible.
It’s difficult to decide which mouthwash to choose from a wide range of products that come with appealing advertisements. But you cannot be blind and go with the flow! Here’s what you need to look in the composition column of your mouthwash to have the best one for yourself.
- Antibacterial agents such as alcohol to combat bacterial growth in your mouth cavity.
- Germicides such as cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) to help you avoid plaque build-up and also kill germs that might reside in your mouth.
- Fluoride to strengthen enamel and make it less prone to decays.
Some of the common mouthwashes that claim to include these ingredients are Cool mint antiseptic mouthwash from Listerine and Colgate. Others that have hit the top list this year, include Fresh Breath Oral Rinse By TheraBreath, ACF Mouthwash In Mint By SmartMouth and Alcohol-Free Unflavored Mouthwash From CloSYS. But it’s good to consult your dentist before choosing one.