Stiff neck is that weird illness, in which your neck acts firm or inflexible along with soreness, especially when you try to turn your head back the side. If you don’t treat it wisely, it may lead several other painful symptoms later. Stiff neck could last for more than two days and without proper treatment, this annoying feeling would last for continuous one week! We can actually cure this difficulty with some exercises and a few easy home remedies, instead of rushing to an expert, if we know the right procedure. Thus, here we are emerged with the another course of home remedies to get rid of this stiff neck problem effortlessly, let’s check them out-
- Stiff neck could happen for various reasons, and muscle strain sprain is probably the commonest reason behind this illness. There is a soft tissue in our neck which is called levator scapula muscle which connects to the spine with the shoulder. When this tissue somehow gets hurt, then the neck stops moving and performs stiffly.
- Sleeping disorder is another possible reason of stiff neck. Sometimes, we used to sleep disorderly or unruly than the proper way, and unknowingly bend or twist our neck during the sleep. This disorderliness drives us into the annoying feeling of a stiff
- Some kind of injuries for sports, fall, fight or any sudden impact which has pushed the head towards its opposite side could also lead this illness instantly!
- Constant work for neck like turning the head repetitively one side to another is one more vital reason of having this problem.
- Doing unsuitable postures like seeing anything upwards for a long while or slouching while watching big screen or computer, etc. are another frequent reason of having a stiff
- Excessive work or overstress could be one more possibly reason of suffering stiff neck problem.
Stiff Neck Home Remedies:
1. Neck Exercise:
Neck exercise is a wonderful way to get rid of the stiff neck difficulty in an easy method. You can apply more than a few exercises at home to treat the stiff neck; here we are referring top 5 of them as follows-
- Neck retraction is a very effective exercise in this case where you need to keep the head straight back, bringing your eyes forward and then get back to the neutral position again.
- Rotation is another effective exercise in this drift where you need to turn your head to one side to reach your nose over your shoulder then get back and repeat the step for the rest side as well.
- Flexion is one more great exercise to get rid of the stiffness of your neck in which you need to hold your hand behind your head and conduct the head down bringing your chin towards the chest.
- Head Drop is another magnificent work out for this illness where you require slanting your head back as much as you can by pointing your chin towards the ceiling and then return to the neutral position.
- Side bend is one significant work out for this trouble in which you need to reach the top of your head with your left hand and slightly pull over your left ear to your left should. Do repeat this step with the right side as well.
2. Epsom Salt:
Epsom salt is a highly advantageous element with various healthy properties as we all know and this product is very effective to cure the stiff neck problem as well. This salt contains magnesium sulphate heptahydrate properties which work to detoxify the muscles in a gentle way and healing the pain at the same time.
- Taking Epsom salt bath is one of the best ways to cure the pain of neck stiffness.
- For that fill a bathtub with warm or lukewarm water.
- Now, add 2 cups of Epsom salt and lets it resolve into the water first.
- Then, lay down into the tub and soak your neck inside the salted water totally.
- After a gap of 15 to 20 minutes get out of the tub and take a proper shower again.
- During this period, you are allowing the magnesium to be absorbed into your neck through your skin.
- Apply this step daily at your bathing time until you get a satisfactory result!
Acupressure, in which you need to stimulate the particular point of your body with a firm pressure, is another wonderful way to treat the stiffness of your neck. In this process, you need to give a steady pressure to that specified acupressure point constantly for a certain period and you will get a rapid result of your stiffness than any other equivalent home remedies of the stiff neck for sure!
- The acupressure point is known as Luo Zhen which you can find on the back side of your palm in between the two bones of the knuckles of the pointer and middle finger.
- Massage the point on the reverse side of the body from the neck pain.
- Like, if you have pain on the left side of your neck then massage the right of your and if you have the pain one the left side then, do this process on the right side.
- Press the point firmly by the tip of your thumb and be certain that you are giving enough pressure to do the treatment appropriately.
- When you do this process, you will feel a slight tenderness at that particular point.
- Keep maintaining that pressure and making tiny circles with your thumb or pressing finger.
- During this course, exercise the neck as well by rotating it from one side to another.
- Gradually, you will feel a slight improvement in your neck and a precise feeling of decreasing the pain.
- When you feel the pain decreasing itself, escalate the range of motion slightly.
4. Cold Compress:
When the stiff neck is troubling because of any muscle weakness then a cold compress treatment can relief you a lot and helps to reduce the stiffness progressively. Coldness or ice calms down the damaged tissues which are hurt, inflamed, red, swollen and hot. This process is a mild medicine-less way to decrease the pain and release the stiffness.
- To apply this treatment, take some ice pieces into an ice bag first.
- Now, compress the bag on your neck frequently for the next 48 to72 hours.
- After that, give a slight heat treatment or take a hot bath to your neck to pass on the cold and hot condition both inside the muscles.
- Never keep this pack constantly on a single place to avoid any kind of skin injuries.
Stretches are one of spectacular and highly effective course to take care the stiff neck problem. These stretch steps could act at home easily but the procedure should be very precise, thus, it will be better if you can do these actions after consulting a physical therapist. There are various effective stretches that could benefit us to cure the stiff neck, let’s check out some top charts of them-
- Side stretching is a valuable way in this endeavor in which you need to sit straight on a chair. Now, hold your seat with your left hand and tilt your head to the right. Stay at this position of 10 seconds, then return to the normal position and repeat this process on the reverse way again.
- Up and down stretching is one more effective course of healing the stiffness. In this process, you need to drop your chin to the direction of your chest straightly from a normal position and during after that press on the neck gently to deepen the stretch. Stay for 30 seconds like this way, then get back to the normal position and repeat the course again.
- Extending is one more mentionable attempt in this treatment, where you need to expand your neck to move the back of your head towards your upper back. Now, press on your forehead firmly to intensify the stretch, hold for 10 seconds and then return to the normal position again.
Heat treatment is one of the great ways to treat the stiff neck and cure the problem. Heat management basically works, as the ice massage but it depends on the reason of stiffness. If you got the stiffness for overstressing or sleeping disorders then, heat treatment acts tremendously on the muscles. But if you got rigidity for any kind of injuries then skip this process to get rid of this illness.
- At first take a proper cold massage as we have told you above and then apply this heat therapy for the most rapid
- After taking the cold compress, take a warm shower with bearably warm water.
- Or you can give your neck a gentle hot compress with cloth or heating pad.
- Make sure that you are not applying this process on sensitive skin or already stirring place of your neck.
Any kind of massage also could help you in this process and remove the stiffness from your neck swiftly. You can apply numbers of massages to get relief from the pain. Here is the most effective one-
- Find out the sore spot first, and then place one of your hands at the area.
- Remember that if you feel pain on the right side of your back then use the right hand or vice-versa.
- Now, push or give a firm pressure into the knot with your fingers, and make certain that the pressure provides a deep yet tolerable pain at that point.
- After that, turn your head slightly reverse way opposite the cramp and bend it diagonally.
- During this process try to touch the armpit with your chin.
- Repeat all these steps 20 times and then give you neck relief to relax the muscles.
8. Homemade Analgesic:
If you are seeking for immediate relief from your stiff neck difficulty then use a homemade pain balm on your neck to soothe the tissues and muscles of your neck. This product should contain beeswax, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and coconut oil to give you an aromatic yet effective break from the firmness.
- At first, melt 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp f beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl over medium heat.
- Then, add the rest essential oil both in 5 drops quantity.
- After combine them smoothly, let the mixture cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now, apply this balm to the sore spot or affected area and massage gently.
- Keep the rest product into an airtight container and apply whenever you feel the inflexibility again.
9. Lavender Oil:
Lavender oil is a good component too, for curing the sore of stiff neck in a painless way. The sweet aromatic lavender oil has a mild sedative effect that lends a hand to relieve strain and fretfulness that could lead you towards the stiff neck crisis later. The anti- inflammatory properties and analgesic values of this component can rapidly clear the sore and inflexibility from your muscle in an organic way.
- Take one tablespoon of castor oil or melted coconut oil.
- Add 5 to 10 drops of lavender oil into the melted oil and stir well.
- Now, apply this mixture on your affected area and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Apply this process before going to bed and let it work overnight to get the best outcome of this treatment.
How to Prevent Stiff Neck:
After applying these methods to cure the stiff neck problem, you must desire to protect your neck from suffering such crisis again, right? So, let’s try out these simple steps which will prevent the illness to again on your neck muscles or soft tissues. Take a look-
- Avoid any work that could stress you neck.
- Always keep the monitor of your computer or TV screen at eye level.
- Use a new pillow if you are getting the neck problem frequently and for sleeping disorder for the utmost time.
- Sleep on you back throughout the whole night if you can.
- Drink enough water a day and stay well hydrated all the time.