Holy basil or tulsi is one kind of plant which contains both medical and mythological significances in the whole territory of Asian regions.
From worshiping God to curing cold cough and treating mild health issues to revamping mental strength, this perennial plant shows its magical effects on various meadows. These days, people can easily call holy basil a magical plant due to its ample advantageous qualities which keep enhancing our health for several centuries!
Today let our discussion spread over this highly beneficial plant, which could effortlessly thrive in our lawn and help us grasp vigorous health gains effectively. Take a close look at some most efficient usage of holy basil along with the advantage details in this article below-
Health Benefits of Holy Basil: Tulasi Home Remedies
What are Holy Basil and Its History?
According to the agricultural method, holy basil or (Ocimum Sanctum) is a perennial plant that belongs to the family of Lamiaceae and member of the mint category. Usually, holy basil or tulsi, native to the Indian subcontinent, cultivated mostly in the Southeast Asian Tropics and export to the other region of this continent eventually.
Apart from the mythological and medicinal values, holy basil has a huge appreciation in the Ayurvedic field due to its deep medicinal properties.
Depending on the historical methods of holy basil, this plant firstly originates from the North Central Part of India and gradually spreads over the whole subcontinent within a few years.
If you look at the mythological value of holy basil, you will find that tulsi plays an important role in Hindu Tradition, especially, in the Vaishnava culture, where every process of worship begins with the holy leaves of Tulsi.
This sacred plant and its holy leaves play an auspicious role in the tradition of Indian as well as Southeast Asian regions.
In some places in Indian, the plant of holy basil also gets worshiped as God and a manifestation of Lord Vishnu. In various Hindu Puranas or Mythological books, Tulsi plant or holy basil motioned and discussed elaborately along with its amazing value in our culture.
Note: It is an amazing herb but, avoid using holy basil during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and before surgery. Prolonged use is also not advisable.
Tulasi Benefits/ Holy Basil for Anxiety and Stress
Several studies on holy basil have proven that this tiny plant contains various nutritional values, which make it so much effective in curing various health issues.
Vitamin A, C, calcium, zinc, iron, chlorophyll, etc. are some of the beneficial compounds found in holy basil and help us to fight ample health issues efficiently.
According to the research on holy basil, it is found that pharmacological compounds detect in the leaves of holy basil provide a soothing effect in the human mind and help to cope with unstable tissues of the brain, which aid to reduce stress and anxiety effectively.
In the reduction of anxiety and stress, holy basil usually works as an adaptogen that assists our body in adept stress and stimulates lost-mental balance appropriately.
That’s why, this single perennial plant acts spectacularly lowering our mental stress or anxiety most proficiently, no matter how hard the cause works behind such mental imbalance. Let’ see how to consume holy basil to fight the signs of anxiety and stress most efficiently-
- Try to take medical supplements to get fast recovery from mental stress
- The dosages of holy basil supplement depend upon the mental instability intensity of a person
- However, you can take 300 mg to 1800 mg amount of holy basil supplement, depending on the prescribed level of your physician
- When the stress is too high or the anxiety level is hard to control for a person, it is recommended to start the dosage of holy basil supplement from 600 mg to 2000 mg in each dosage regularly
- You can also eat 5-6 leaves of raw holy basil directly, daily to get the same benefit on any type of mental instability.
How to Use Tulasi / Holy Basil for Cough-Cold
Holy basil contains ample outstanding medicinal powers which make this plant one of the most effective home remedies for cough, cold, and other lung issues.
From bronchitis to asthma, and from a regular cough to heavy cold issues, the therapeutic properties of holy basil have shown its effect in every single field splendidly.
The curative compounds of holy basil leaves boost the expectoration process and clean the stored phlegm from your respiratory tract smoothly.
Also, the anti-inflammation properties of holy basil soothe the sensation of dried cough and get released from your breathing area effectively. Let’s see how to utilize the leaves of this holy basil in combating the signs of cold and cough more efficiently-
- Pluck 8-10 leaves from your holy basil plant and wash them thoroughly under running water.
- Now, spread these leave n 300-500 ml of water and boil for 5-6 minutes on high flame.
- After that duration, turns the heat off and lets the solution cool down entirely at your normal room temperature.
- Finally, drink the solution with small sips and repeat it 2-3 times a day, until you get rid of a cough entirely from your lung.
The anti-aging properties, anti-inflammatory compounds, and high mineral contents of holy basil make this plant a brilliant element to use against various skin issues like acne, aging, sagging skin, pigmentation, dull skin tone, etc.
It is clinically proven that the use of holy basil could detoxify our skin cells, diminish our aging process and make our skin acne-free effectively than any other expansive beauty care products.
It has been seen that regular use of holy basil not only helps you to get rid of typical skin problems but also enhances your overall look by beautifying the cells as well as increasing the glow of your skin naturally. Let’s see how to use it to improve your skin and achieve a beautiful look innately-
- Mix a small amount of purified water in 1 tbsp of dried basil leaves powder and apply this pack for half an hour regularly to achieve a parlor-like glow in your face within a week.
- To treat acne, mix ½ tbsp of green holy basil paste along with 1 teaspoon of sandalwood dust and 1-2 teaspoons of rosewater to make a fine paste. Now, apply this pack 4 times a week for 20 minutes on your skin and get an acne-free smooth skin type within a short while.
- To cure any type of skin rash or skin infection on your face, combine 1 tbsp ground basil leaves with an equal amount of fresh lemon juice and apply this pack for 15 minutes on the infected area regularly until you get cured of it entirely.
- To fight the signs of combination skin type, mix green basil leaf paste with 1 teaspoon of gram flour and a small amount of purified water. Apply the paste to your skin surface for 20-25 minutes and then rinse off with lots of cold water.
- Finally, to combat open pores or aging problems, combine basil leaf paste with egg white and apply the pack for 20 minutes regularly, and you will get rid of this type of skin issue within 1-2 weeks.
Tulasi / Holy Basil Benefits to Prevent Hair Loss and For Growth:
The raw benefits and therapeutic properties of holy basil make this component and a highly beneficial element for treating hair naturally.
The richness of several advantageous minerals helps to promote scalp health, strengthen hair follicles, and promote the blood circulation process in your scalp deeply, which improves the quality of your hair spectacularly.
Often the application of this plant, leaves, oil, or other applicable portions also helps to get rid of other irritating scalp issues swiftly like dandruff, itchy scalp, etc. Let’s find out how to use holy basil to enhance the health of hair from all aspects-
- To prevent hair loss, paste 1 bowl of fresh holy basil leaves in your mixture and combine the paste in your regular hair oil. Apply the pack for 30 minutes on your scalp and then rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- To get rid of the dandruff issue, mix 5-10 drops of basil oil in your regular hair oil, and massage this pack daily for 10-15 minutes until you get cured of a single slot of dandruff from your hair entirely.
- To prevent premature white hair or grey hair, make dry holy basil dust and apply it on your hair follies as well the entire scalp after merging with Amla powder along with a mild amount of water.
- Repeat the pack 3 to 4 times a week depending on your hair problems and see how magically your hair regains its lost glow with perfect growth naturally.
Holy Basil/ Tulsi Benefits for Weight Loss:
Some medical researchers claim that holy basil also helps to reduce body weight and boost the weight loss process naturally. The medicinal properties of this magical plant lend a hand to diminish glucose level and cholesterol level from our blood which reduces the possibilities of weight gain effectively.
On the other hand, it also controls the cortisol hormone emission in our body which often induces heavyweight in the human body.
Hence, though it is not clinically proven by any report that why and how holy basil leaves help in weight loss from our torso, it is seen that in many cases, this herbal plant works more effectively than weight loss supplements to manage or diminish the excessive body pounds innately. Let’s see how to use it in this endeavor perfectly-
- Boil holy basil leaves in 1-2 cups of water for 5 minutes and wait until it comes to the exact room temperature.
- Now drink this solution directly and take this medication 2 times a day, until you say goodbye to all your extra pounds entirely from your torso.
- You can also take raw holy basil supplements for this attempt, but to do so, try to consult your doctor first.
- And finally, try to drink 1-2 cups of holy basil tea regularly to get a fast recovery or lose weight more swiftly than ever.
Health Benefits of Holy Basil/ Tulasi Tulsi:
It is hard to remind all the benefits we can get from holy basil in our regular lives, as it helps us from every significant facet that requires for a healthy life, from the skin to hair and from mind to body.
However, here we are trying to give you a short brief about what types of advantages we can get from this type of therapeutic mint plant, let’s check them out and learn how easily you can get rid of numbers of serious health issues with this single component effectively-
- Holy basil reduces stress and anxiety
- Enhances cognitive function
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Protects heart
- Provides anti-inflammatory effect
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Controls blood sugar
- Boosts liver function
- Heals stomach ulcer
- Reduces pain
- Increases immune power
- Work as anti-cancer component
- Accelerates the bone healing process
- Provides antibacterial effect
- Clears Candida overgrowth
- Boosts Testosterone
- Soothers histamine intolerance
- Provides a shield against cataracts
- Enhances skin type
- Promotes hair health
- Reduces extra weight
- Treats asthma
- Prevents kidney stones
- Headache Relief
- And avert premature aging effects.
How to Make Holy Basil / Tulasi Tea:
Holy basil tea is outstandingly beneficial for several health gains, it boosts our metabolism, fresh our mind, reduces our stress level, cure cough cold, clean respiratory tract, enhances skin cells, and improve our health from many more aspects.
All you need to know is how to make a perfect cup of holy basil tea at home with just a few simple kitchen ingredients. So, note down quickly the procedure and say goodbye to those stubborn health issues permanently, which bothering you for long-
- A saucepan
- 3-4 drinking cups water
- Freshly plucked holy basil leaves around ¼ cup
- A cup
- A spoon
- Some ice cubes
- A saucer
- And 1 teaspoon of organic honey
- At the primary stage, wash each leaf of holy basil finely under running water.
- Now, boil the water in a saucepan until it starts simmering for at least 4-5 minutes uninterruptedly.
- Then, place the finely washed leaves in the cup and press them down firmly with a spoon until they start extract inside the cup.
- Now, pour the boiling hot water into the cup and cover the top with a sauce for a 5-6
- Place some ice cubes on the top of your saucer and let the leaves steep in the hot water for that small while.
- After that certain duration, strain the water from the basil leaves in another cup, add 1 teaspoon of organic honey and drink like a regular tea with small sips.