Dry eyes are a common phenomenon these days as it occurs due to sleep deprivation, looking at digital screens for long duration of time, sitting in very bright light and some eye related disorders. The symptoms of dry eyes include irritation or redness, watery or dry eyes, etc. though there are various types of eye drops available for curing dry eyes, there are various home remedies too that can help with the condition.
Home remedies for dry eyes
1. Apply Chamomile tea bags to cure eye dryness
Chamomile tea bags come to rescue when a person suffers from a dry eyes condition.
As the tea is full of anti-oxidants the tea has a very relaxing and soothing effect on the eyes thus reducing the stress generated in the eyes, if there is swelling around the eyes then chamomile tea bags can reduce the swelling too.
How to use
- Take two chamomile tea bags and steep it in a hot water bowl for around 4-5 minutes
- Take out the tea bags. keep one outside while the other in the refrigerator.
- For a warm therapy. Use the tea bag that you kept outsides by placing it on the eyelids for a few minutes.
- For a cool therapy, use the refrigerated tea bag over your eyelids.
- Keep repeating this process as much as you want.
2. Use Whole Milk to reduce Puffiness of eyes
This is an easy remedy as the main ingredient is generally present in every household, Whole Milk, and is very subtle as it relieves from the dry eyes condition. The abundance of fats present in the whole milk has a very soothing and calming effect over the eyelids and so relieving from the dry eyes condition. Puffiness and itchiness associated with dry eyes are also reduced when whole milk is applied over the eyelids.
- How to apply milk
- Taking a small amount of whole milk (preferably cold) in a cup
- Dipping a cotton roll or ball, in the cold milk
- Rubbing it gently over the eyelids and its surrounding areas for a couple of minutes.
- Repeat this process as much as you like
3. Apply Aloe Vera Cotton ball dip
Aloe Vera plant is a skin specialist as it provides relief from myriad of skin problems. The Aloe Vera plant is extracted for its juice as it contains a lot of moisturizing properties.
Steps to use Aloe vera
- Extract juice from freshly plucked Aloe Vera leaves
- Take the Aloe Vera juice in a small bowl and add cold water to it
- Dip two cotton balls in the bowl and let it soak for a few minutes
- Place those cotton balls over the eyelids for at least 5 minutes to get maximum effect
- Repeat the process as much as you want
4. Add Rose Water for a soothing effects on eyes
Rose water is very effective in relieving from the dry eyes condition as it acts as a moisturizer and a natural relaxant for the tired and strained eyes. Rose water has a very soothing sensation over the eyelids while it also rejuvenates the complete area of skin around the eyelids thus curing other conditions like eye puffiness and dark circles.
Using rosewater for eyes
Take small amount of rose water in a bowl
Dip cotton balls in the rose water
Clean your eyelids by applying cold water and patting it dry using a towel
Lying down straight and closing the eyes, place the rose water soaked cotton balls over the eyelids and rest it for a few minutes
Repeat the process two times daily.
5. Use Lavender Oil as Moisturizer
Lavender Oil is very efficient in relieving from the dry eyes condition as it acts as a natural moisturizer and hence helps the eyelids by replenishing its lost moisture.
How to apply Lavender oil
Taking a bowl filled with warm water
Add a few drops of lavender oil in the bowl and mix it
Soak a few cotton balls in the bowl by dipping them
Place the cotton balls over the eyes for a few minutes
Repeat the process daily for maximum effects
6. Warm Compress to relax your muscles
Warm compress has been used from a long time ago for treating dry eyes condition. Doing it, relaxes the muscles present around the eyes and reduces the strain associated with it.
Using Warm compress
- Take a soft cloth and put it in a bowl filled with hot water.
- Squeeze out the excess water after taking the cloth out of the bowl
- Place the soft cloth over the eyelids and rest it for a few minutes
- Follow this regime couple times a day
7. Can use Lemon Juice with lentil flour for eye stress
Lemon Juice is used for treating dry eyes by using it as one of the ingredients in making a paste. Lemon is very good for the skin and provides quick relief from stresses generated in the eye.
you can prepare the paste by following steps
Take a medium sized bowl and add lemon juice with tomato puree or tomato crush, turmeric powder and orange lentil flour to it
Mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a paste
Apply the paste over the eyelids and rest it for a few minutes
Wash away the paste by using cold water to find soothed and moisturized eyes.
8. Using Cucumber gives relief from eye stress
Cucumber works great in providing relief from dry eyes condition due to the astringent property it possesses and helps the eyes by relieving stress generated in them.
Cucumber for dry eyes
Refrigerating an average sized cucumber for around 30 minutes
Take out the cucumber from the refrigerator and cut it into thick slices
Put the thick slices over the eyelids and rest it for few a minutes
You can use this remedy couple times a day.