Mostly everyone loves to take care of their skin and wants to keep themselves young and beautiful. Though wrinkles don’t cause any pain ( physically), watching visible lines on the forehead and few wrinkle lines around eyes, and particularly the deep lines surely leave a pain in your heart.
In this article, we shall look at the reasons for wrinkles, natural home remedies, lifestyle changes to prevent wrinkles, and frequently asked questions about wrinkles. If you just want some quick ideas for forehead and under-eye wrinkles, scroll down to quick tips.
Quick Tips to Reduce Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Sleep on your back
- Sleeping with hands on your face or facing down may leave lines as your skin is being pressed against the sleep surface.
- Forehead lines, crowfeet, and wrinkles around the nose may be caused by sleep on your side or on your tummy.
- You also try a memory foam pillow to reduce compression, shear, and stress on your skin.
Vitamin E & C Rich Foods and Topical Serum
- Vitamin E is essential for skin health and appearance. Loaded with antioxidants it increases your blood circulation reduces inflammation and hyperpigmentation.
- Topical Vitamin E application moisturizes and nourishes your skin resulting in smooth and healthy skin.
- Though Vitamin C erases the lines it can prevent further sagging, dry skin, and premature aging.
- Adequate Vitamin C-rich food intake and topical serum can promote collagen growth and heal damaged skin.
Vitamin C is also known to reduce hyperpigmentation and enhance your skin radiance.
Egg White Mask
- Though egg white has no concrete proof for firming your skin, they are yet rich in vitamins and minerals
vitamin A and Protein-rich egg white face masks may promote healing and leave temporarily firm skin.
- Egg whites on the skin also make your skin feel hydrated as it locks moisture, which leaves your skin smooth erasing fine lines.
- Yes at last egg white are okay to provide temporary anti-aging benefits to plump and tighten your skin.
Get Enough Sunlight with Protection
- Yes, UV radiation from the sun is damaging for your skin, however, Vitamin D we get from the sun is good for the skin and your whole body.
- Apply SPF cream, use a hat and sunglasses to avoid crow feet wrinkles.
- For the sake of Vitamin D which is crucial for metabolism, cell repair, and growth it okay to expose yourself to sunlight 2 to 3 times a week.
Facial exercises and massage
- Aging creates sagging and makes laugh lines and crowfeet.
- Do gentle facial massage against gravity.
- Use anti-aging serum and natural milk oils for gliding strokes.
- Anti-aging facelift massage promotes blood flow and oxygen. In turn, this increases collagen production for a firm looking even tone skin naturally.
- Yes, it takes time and practice, do push it too fast.
- Nicotine is known to shrink blood vessels, resulting in reduced flow of oxygen, nutrients for body cells.
- Smoking accelerates your aging process.
- So quit smoking to postpone age spots and wrinkles.
- Find a healthy way to stop smoking to get your skin and body to heal.
Munch on whole plant-based foods
- Fresh produce foods are rich in natural vitamins, minerals, and polyphenols.
- Polyphenols are good for blood circulation and are known to reduce wrinkles.
- Rich foods: Citrus fruits, berries, nuts, and veggies like artichoke, broccoli, and herbs like cloves.
Avoid processed foods
- Saturated fats can damage your system and skin
- Choose healthy alternative for salty snacks
- Roasted Veggies are better than fried potatoes
People spend a lot of money on anti-wrinkle creams, serums, and lotions to get the firm-looking skin back. Instead of that let us check some natural ways to get rid of wrinkles with home remedies and get soft skin with some lifestyle changes.
Though I won’t promise you that this is going to fade the wrinkles over a night, there are some effective natural remedies and tested ways to prevent and postpone wrinkles.
Why and What Causes Wrinkles
Yes, I understand this is not a science class, but as we move to remedies you will understand why am explaining these terms here. If you find the root cause it’s always easy to solve anything.
Our skin is a protective coat and the largest organ of our body. Epidermis outermost layer, dermis connective tissue and, hypodermis all collectively shields your body. Before your 30s each layer was performing its best because of
- Cell regeneration, cells get replenished and new cells are generated
- Elasticity, Collagen gives the elasticity in the dermis, so that your skin is soft and supple
- Fat cells of the innermost layer will refill and make your skin plump and won’t wrinkle
Sunrays damage the collagen and elastin fiber and which reduces your skin’s flexible nature as you age. Let’s Check out the bulleted list for the common reasons
- Overexposure to UV rays from the sun or similar simulated environment
- Smoking ( reduced blood flow)
- Alcohol ( steals away your skin’s moisture and increases free radical damage)
- Dry skin ( As dry skin is prone to wrinkle and creases )
- Facial expressions ( smiling, raised eyebrows, frowning, and squinting)
- Chemicals ( Makeup, toners, cleansers)
- Crash diet and sudden weight loss
At what age do wrinkle kickstarts?
Until your early twenties, your skin springs back as you know that collagen, elastin, and cell regeneration is adequately available. But, after 25 collagen regeneration decreases and your skin is prone to wrinkles.
And it’s not definite that it starts at 25. You can postpone it by taking good care of your skin. Yes, we will look into the remedies and tips in the upcoming subtopics.
Lines on your forehead is due to expressions like raising eyebrows, sighs, overthinking, and worries. Seems we have to put an end to this drama ;).
Natural Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes for Wrinkles
Massage Improves Blood Circulation
Massage is not only relaxing, but it also increases the blood circulation to move the toxins out and to replenish your cells to get a plumpy bouncy skin free from wrinkles.
You can either choose a massage expert or do it yourself or with your partner.
- Choose a massage oil or lotion to avoid friction. ( Coconut oil, olive oil, or lotion of your choice)
- Do massage in a circular motion.
- Massage relieves you from stress and slowly erases the wrinkle lines
- Go for massage at least once a week to prevent and postpone aging
- Concentrate on forehead lines, around eyes, and smile lines on the side, as these are wrinkle-prone areas.
Apply Liberal Coat of Sunscreen
Yes, we need vitamin D, and it’s available for free from the sun, But too much of it can damage your skin. UV rays from the sun damage your skin layers and they lose their elasticity and so choose your favorite sunscreen and apply it on all the days of a week.
Partially it’s true that sunscreen not only prevents aging but it also helps in the natural reversing of photoaging. Sunscreen lessens one of the workloads of your skin to protect you and meanwhile, your skin heals itself. Count the list of few more benefits of sunscreen, and you won’t forget your sunscreen again.
- Prevents skin cancer
- Protects you from hyperpigmentation
- Uneven skin tone
- Sagging skin
Wash Your Face Twice ( Enough )
Wash your face when you are back home or at least two to three times a day. But note doesn’t overdo it again, else it will take you to the same boss again. Gently wash your skin with lukewarm water ( neither cold or hot), not only it makes you feel fresh, it’s really soothing and gets you ready for a protective coat. You can repeat this procedure an hour before bedtime. After face wash, apply a mild coat of oil. Even a drop is good to spread and cover your face.
- Don’t do downward strokes while washing your face, to avoid sagging skin
- Don’t rub your eyes while washing, it’s gonna break the collagen and elastin and results in more wrinkles around the eyes.
- Use mild face wash which can just take away the pollutants, dirt, and dead skin cells, rather than your skin.
- If you are already dealing with dry skin, avoid soap and try honey and lemon-based natural wash
- And if you feel oil is greasy and uncomfortable for you to sleep, go for an overnight light moisturizer or a creamy night lotion after your face wash.
Apply Coconut Oil & Olive Oil
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, got antifungal and antimicrobial properties, and added to that it possesses vitamin E to take good care of your skin and heal your cells. Coconut oil could make your skin look naturally plump and hide the lines. But it takes a week together with nutritious foods and lifestyle changes to fade the lines.
- After you wash your face in the evening, pat dry with a trace of moisture is still left.
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and apply a light coat on your skin.
- You follow the massage procedure as said above.
- Do circular motion and strokes on forehead wrinkles until you feel it’s not greasy anymore.
Avoid Smoking and Slowly Quit/Limit Alcohol
Smoking, caffeine, alcohol are masters of dehydration, they result in dehydration and dry skin. In the initial stages while you quit these habits, drink enough water to compensate and you can also use vaseline/petroleum jelly to form a protective layer on the skin to protect your skin’s moisture content.
Drinking water firstly hydrates your body and helps to expel the toxins at ease.
Drinking more water is not going to erase the lines in a day, but it’s gonna help you in numerous ways
- Fewer complaints about constipation
- Healthy digestion
- The count of sugary soda goes down
- Hydrated skin fights dryness
- Brighter eyes and no more sunken eyes
Get Shield with Antioxidants
Antioxidants play the defense mechanism to prevent free radical damage. Being skin the largest organ of your body and it takes more oxidative stress, the role of antioxidants for your skin is essential.
Antioxidants control and nullify the production of free radicals which damage the skin cells. Though the human body can produce antioxidants, it goes down by age, and to support it consume antioxidant-rich foods to give an external boost. Now let’s check out some antioxidant-rich foods
- Pomegranate, Blackcurrants, and Berries help in cell regeneration
- Green tea for catechins help in damage protection and reduce wrinkles
- Red wine, grapes, blueberries, and nuts for resveratrol ( prevents oxidative stress)
- Grapeseed oil for proanthocyanidins (Antioxidant inhibits free radicals)
- Vitamin C-rich foods help to rebuild your collagen naturally and which in turn adds elasticity to your skin and makes your skin look young and firm. Lemon, mangoes, tomatoes, and pineapple ( the few that came to my mind right now).
- Vitamin E, this fat-soluble antioxidant is a basic need for everyone’s skin
- Tomatoes for Lycopene which can act as a natural sunscreen and protect your skin from UV Rays
- Niacinamide Vitamin B3 found naturally in fish, egg, bread and yeast products which help to improve skin tone and reduces hyperpigmentation
- Out of these, some fruits and essential oil (along with carrier oil) can be applied on your skin to repair the micro-level scars and later it be washed after an hour.
Get enough sleep
One of the favorite ways to keep yourself young. Actually when you sleep your body does its best to remove impurities and detox your body. Increased fresh blood flow to your skin means healthy skin free from stress and improved cell repair.
On the other case if you don’t sleep, the stress hormone “cortisol” level increases, and if this goes on and on it reaches an alarming level and results in skin inflammation and irritation. You guessed right, itchy skin and irritation which in turn disturbs your happy sleep cycle, and what, the chain reaction starts again.
During the night your body’s melatonin levels rise to make you feel tired and move to the bed and which in turn helps your skin to heal itself through the night.
Yes, hit your body’s snooze button before 10 pm.
Get rid of stress
You could have already heard that stress takes you on a speed journey on aging. When you get depressed, be it for any reason, social isolation, financial stress or loss of someone, and anxiety about upcoming things. Your body’s stress hormone levels are increased just like when you don’t have a good sleep.
Which makes you feel fatigued and this hormone also results in loss of elastin and collagen ( you know these are the spring mattresses under your skin 😉 for soft bouncy firm skin ). Find the best ways to get rid of stress
- Practice Yoga
- Pranayama ( You don’t have to move your body, breathe in breathe out)
- Get socialized, get along with your best friend. You will get used to it
- LOL yes, Laugh out loud.
- Playing with pets not only reduces your stress levels but subconsciously gives you a confidence boost
- Watching Cartoon shows ( I do this even now @ 32)
- Gardening ( Its also nice to harvest organic veggies at home)
- Loss of someone cant be replaced, but find someone to shower on your love
- Get Massaged ( Your body really deserve it)
Quick Recap & Fast Tips
- Avoid Sun: use hats, sunscreen SPF 30 SPF 50, glasses, and cotton clothing
- Quick smoking and alcohol
- Drink more water
- Consume bright orange, yellow and red fruits and veggies
- Eat vitamin C and vitamin E rich foods and also consider a topical application
- Wash your face, pat dry, and apply your favorite moisturizer to prevent dryness
- Do exercise and yoga to pump your blood and plump up your skin
- Choose your best antistress doses ( Friends, pets, games, gardening)
- Avoid processed foods and sugary foods
- Go to bed early and have a routine to have a deep sound sleep
- Avoid watching the blue screen in dark and don’t squint (Prevents wrinkles under eyes and sunken eyes)
- Limit repetitive facial expression
- Munch, gulp, and apply antioxidants ( Nuts, berries, green tea, carrots, lemon, and essential oils)
- Just like massage go for homemade face masks to tighten and add elasticity to your skin
- Use a drop of coconut oil or olive oil, natural moisturizers to seal your skin and prevent dryness
- Use mild and gentle soap or cleansers and nonalcoholic skincare products, as aggressive ones leave your skin dry.
- Consume omega 3 rich foods- fish, seeds, and nuts.
- Also, you can avoid sleeping on the sides to prevent creases on your cheeks and under your eyes.
Will Moisturizers Help me prevent wrinkles?
Moisturizers and sunscreen are different and using only moisturizers won’t help you to erase wrinkles. You can choose moisturizers with sunscreen and antioxidant-rich lotions to help in this case.
- Moisturizers act as a protective layer to seal your skin’s moisture
- They are not potent enough to prevent the harmful effects of UV rays and fight free radical damage.
- On another case, moisturizers can be good for you and it scores a point to prevent skin dryness.
Our laser therapy and abrasion is safe and effective?
Both laser and dermabrasion therapies are safe and each follows a different procedure to dust off the outermost layer. Which is good to remove dead cells, tattoos, mole, and acne scars.
After the outer layer is removed, the skin cells in the dermis layer get stimulated and result in firm and soft skin. But, both the therapies need multiple sessions and it takes weeks to get rid of the redness and swelling.
Botox procedure and effectiveness against wrinkles
Botox is a neuro protein used for various cases and for wrinkles, it controls the contracting muscles. The muscles under the skin tighten to its best and finally gives a smooth skin texture free from wrinkles.
For this procedure, Botox is injected into targeted muscles where you need the wrinkle lines to be erased and the result is temporary and you need another session in 15 – 20 weeks. In my view, it comes with a price tag and side effects.
What are microcurrents and how long do they last for wrinkles?
Microcurrent facial treatment is great for aging skin and for people who are looking for a natural facelift free from invasive procedures and surgeries to youthful skin free from large pores and wrinkle lines.
The low-level current stimulates the enhancement at the cellular level and helps to firm the sagging skin and erase off wrinkles. This microcurrent treat is not for epidermis or layers, it works on muscles just like a gym and makes it firm, and helps to regain elasticity with boosted collagen production.
This is series of treatment requires a maintenance session every 40 – 60 days and with monthly maintenance, it can last for years
How to use egg white for wrinkles?
Actually, there is no strong evidence on how egg white could help your wrinkle lines. But this frugal approach can be good for your skin, along with the vitamin A and protein richness, adding honey and vitamin E oil to it could enhance the effect. Though it’s not a permanent solution for wrinkles, it does keep the wrinkles hidden temporarily.
- You have to remove the yellow guy (yolk) out from egg white
- Whisk it
- Now apply the egg white with your fingers on all the areas you would like to concentrate.
- Later wash off with cold water after 30 – 40 mins
- Wear sunglasses before you step out of our house
- Wear optimal glasses for reading texts, it prevents squinting while your read
- Slather sunscreen under the eyes
- Avoid using mobile phone or tablets at night, it disturbs your sleep cycle, and your skin ages faster
- Do some stretching exercise around your eyes with a peace sign on your fingers, “V”.
- In India, during the summer season, people apply castor oil around their eyes before they hit the bed. It provides a cooling effect and prevents wrinkling under the eyes.
Though forehead wrinkles are cute sometimes like black stripes on a tiger, it’s like a thorn in the eye for women after their 30’s. We have already discussed a checklist of things to be done to remove the wrinkle lines and anyway let’s look for few more tips.
- Avoid raised eyebrow expression and frowning, repetitive kind of expression affects your underlying muscles and the end result is forehead creases.
- Apply coconut oil after a face wash and before bed.
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods to prevent oxidative stress on your skin( Lemon, Fish, Tomatoes, berries, and pomegranate)
- Massage in a circular motion, use drops essential oils with a carrier oil
- Find all possible ways to avoid skin dryness.