Licorice is the root of one plant named Glycyrrhiza glabra, from which the useful element extract to utilize for several purposes. The high medicinal properties of this root make this one a must-applicable component to use in various home remedy methods.
The goodness of licorice root is innumerable and highly effective on serious health issues, as well as some unanimous health disorders. It can cure your organ disarray to mental instability and most of the time work in a complete harmless or side-effect-free way.
That’s why; licorice use enormously in these days to get remedied from some typical health issue with inexpensive excellence! Here we are referring the top most usages of licorice root in several of health disorders, let’s check them out-
How to Use Benefits of Licorice for Home Remedies
1. Licorice for Depression:
Licorice root is the best herb to cure the depression problem effectively. The extract of this root aid to function properly the activity of adrenal gland in our body and this way control the hormonal emission along with stress in our mind. When the body produces stress hormonal element in low level, depression or other gloominess will appear in our body. Licorice root once in a day could normalize that hormone level and reduce the possibility of having depression in future. Let’ find out how to use it appropriately in such matter-
Step by step method
- Boil 1½ cup of water with 1 tsp of licorice root until the whole thing shrinks into 1 cup.
- Now, turn the heat off and let the root steep there for 4-5 minutes.
- After that, strain and add ½ tsp of dried ginger (optional) into that solution.
- Finally, stir well and drink as a regular tea.
- Drink two cups of this tea daily to get best effects on your depression signs.
2. Licorice for Skin Whitening:
Licorice root is loaded with various skin nourishing components like antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, etc. These beneficial properties whiten the skin surface and beautify the skin cells in every possible way, that’s why; most of the renowned cosmetic companies use licorice extracts in their fairness creams.
These sorts of cream work a bit slowly on your skin surface than the raw extract of this root and more importantly, the direct application of this root provide you a fairer supple skin with a complete chemical less way! So, let’ check out how to apply this super effective Ayurvedic method to get spotless fair skin that you have always craved-
- At the initial stage, prepare a half cup of licorice tea at home following the steps we have mentioned above.
- Now, let the tea cool down properly and then take 4 tbsp of that cool licorice tea in a small mixing bowl.
- After that, add 1 tsp of fuller earth dust and 1 tsp of turmeric dust into that bowl along with 4-5 drops of almond oil.
- Combine the entire things smoothly and then apply it on your clear face with an even
- Let it dry there naturally or sit there for the next half an hour, and then, rinse off with normal water.
- Pat dry gently and apply some mild moisturizer instantly to hold on the suppleness of this pack for a long while.
- If you can apply this pack twice a week, you will achieve noticeable fairer looking skin tone within a month!
3. Licorice for Pcos:
Pcos or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is common hormone disorder, in which women ovaries got filled with fluid filled cysts. This ovarian disorder could turn dangerous over time if we don’t treat it properly and get rid of within time.
Research has shown that this licorice herb contains an element named glycyrrhizin works magically to diminish the serum testosterone in women ovaries. When the serum enhances the testosterone production it clears the fluid-filled cysts naturally and decreases the possibilities of Pcos effectively.
Also, it has been seen that the medicinal properties of licorice root help to detoxify our ovaries naturally and balance the hormone emission expertly. Let’s discover how to utilize this herb on Pcos precisely-
- At first, dry out the licorice root naturally and prepare fine dust of that dried root at home.
- Now, take 1 tsp of that dust and add one cup of boiling water.
- Immediately turn off the heat and let it steep there for at least 8-10 minutes uninterruptedly.
- After that, strain the solution and add ½ tsp of grounded black pepper for better taste.
- Drink this solution as a regular tea and try to take 2-3 cups a day for the natural detoxification of your ovaries.
- You can also take licorice supplement as well or 1 tsp of licorice tincture directly with a half glass of warm water instead, to get the similar impact on Pcos.
4. Licorice for Hair:
These days, every 6-7 out of 10 people are suffering from hair problems because of the rough and contaminated environment. In this crisis, home remedies have shown more versatility in the functioning of hair care and licorice is one of the paramount ones among them.
The Choline compounds work optimistically on the scalp and promote the growth of your hair normally. Also the essential vitamins, B complex, flavonoid, protein, minerals and other beneficial compounds found in this root herb enhance the overall quality of your hair effectively.
The best part of using licorice in for hair nourishment is that it works on both scalp and hair issues in one receptacle. Thus, you can treat your dandruff problem to hair fall or split-ends to the roughness of hair with this one component proficiently! Let’s check out how to prepare a perfect hair pack using this beneficial herb effortlessly-
- Cut a medium sized cucumber into small cubes and place them in your blender.
- Blend them until smoothen and then, take out into a small mixing bowl.
- Now, add 1 tbsp of licorice dust into that bowl and whisk the whole thing finally with the help of a fork.
- When you get a smooth paste of them, apply it on your entire hair as well and the scalp areas.
- Let it dry there for half an hour and rinse off with normal water.
- After that, apply a mild shampoo and pat dry your hair gently.
- This pack will help you to achieve smooth and bouncy hair naturally if you can apply this pack once in a week.
- To re-grow hair on your scalp, mix 1 tbsp of licorice dust in 4 tbsp of raw milk along with ½ tsp of saffron and make a thick paste of them.
- Apply the paste on the desired area of your scalp and let it work for overnight.
- On the next day morning, wipe out the pack with wet tissues first, and then rinse off with normal water.
5. Licorice for a cough:
Licorice root is a highly effective herb to fight the signs of a cough or any viral infections. The richness of antiviral components found in this herb treats any kind of cold-related disorder expertly, whether it is sore throats, bronchitis, stuffed nose or a cough.
The exceedingly active compounds of glycyrrhizin clear the slimy effect from our stomach; boost up the adrenal health, and eliminate an excess phlegm that stored in our breathing track.
Also, the anti-inflammatory properties found in licorice extract, soothe the inflammation in our breathing tract, while the antimicrobial compounds loosen the hold of mucus from our lungs and prevent them from storing on our breathing lines.
It has been observed as well that the medicinal properties found in licorice aid to widen the air passage naturally to pass the oxygen to our lungs more effortlessly. Let’s find out how to use this herb in this endeavor of treating cough naturally-
- Boil 6 cups of filtered water in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes first.
- Now, add 2 tsp of dried licorice herb into the water and let it boil for more 30-40 minutes uninterruptedly on low heat.
- After that, let the solution steep this way for the next 10 minutes.
- Now, strain it through a fine strainer and get the stream of this solution directly.
- You can also take a bath of this solution to get rapid relief from a cough or cold attacks.
- You will get rid of your cough completely within 2 days if you can apply such solution two to three times a day.
6. Licorice for Acid Reflux – Heartburn:
The medicinal compounds of licorice also help to cure the symptoms of acid reflux effectively. Acid reflux not only gives us an irritating stomach with burning esophagus but stimulates many other disorders in our digestive tract as well! Usually, when the LES compounds on our stomach work unsuccessfully to seal the acidic content of food in our stomach, it voyages back through our gullet and provides a burning sensation throughout the entire stomach tract. The beneficial compounds found in licorice root cater a medicinal property named DGL in our stomach while breaking down foods into it.
These compounds help to produce more mucus to our stomach that will compel the acidic flow to hold on in our stomach for long and prevent them from flowing back through the esophagus. In addition, the high amount of anti-inflammatory properties exists in licorice lend a hand to cool down the burning sensation that occurs for this acid reflux. This way, licorice root not only help to appease the signs of acid reflux but, prevent them from attacking our stomach either! Let’s check out how to use this herb in controlling acid reflux-
- Boil 2 cups of distilled water in a saucepan and add 1 tsp of dried licorice into the water.
- Let it boil for more 5 minutes continuously and then, turn the heat off.
- Let the dried herb steep into the water for 7-10 minutes and then strain properly.
- Now, drink this solution with small sips as a regular tea.
- Take 2 cups of this tea in a day and boost up your intestine naturally within a few days!
7. Licorice for Adrenal Fatigue:
Licorice root shows it’s amazing functionality on the adrenal fatigue, thus not only the raw root of this herb used to treat this gland disorder but its extract also hugely utilized in several medicines which prepare for adrenal fatigue.
The glycyrrhizin compounds found in licorice root work magnificently in adrenal insufficiency and balance the blood pressure level skillfully. The medicinal properties of this component show their proficiency in fat modulation and normalize the hormonal level in human body.
This herb also increases iron absorption the ability of our body that helps to control the adrenal fatigue normally and studies say that licorice aids to initiate cortisol stress hormone in our body more effortlessly that provide a break to the excessive emission of the adrenal gland and prevent it from fatigue problem effectively. Let see how to take licorice in adrenal fatigue-
How to use
- Take licorice root table or supplements two-time day and make sure that your dosage doesn’t access the bearable level of this herb, which is 25-75 mg per day.
- You can also take 1 tsp of raw licorice root extract with 1 cup of hot water regularly to get the same result on it.
- For the perfect amount of taking root extract, try to consume 1.75-5.25 g root dust per day, through one two dosages.
8. Licorice for Mouth Ulcer:
A mouth ulcer is a common illness of these days, in which the inside surface of our mouth suffers from some painful white sores, enclosed by some burning sensations. These sores also occur on our lips, under the cheeks, and under the tongue, apart from the floor of the mouth.
However, these sores or mouth ulcers could appear for various reasons from vitamin deficiency to heredity and from hormonal changes to high consumption of harmful foods, yet licorice root could resolve this problem with all its bad symptoms single handily!
The medicinal properties and therapeutic compounds found in licorice root give powerful impact on every single cause and cure it with a soothing feeling.
The anti-inflammatory properties found in this herb provide a cooling sensation on the sensational inflammation of mouth sores and help to shrink them normally. The powerful extracts of licorice, like antimicrobial or antiviral compounds, cater a coating shield on our skin surface.
Not only cures the appeared sore entirely but at the same time, prevent from initiating new sores on the mouth! Let’s discover how to use this super-effective herb on mouth ulcer properly-
How to use
- Take 2 cups of distilled water into a cup and add 1 tbsp of crushed licorice root into it.
- Let it soak there for 2-3 hours uninterruptedly.
- Now, after that duration, strain the water thoroughly and use it for washing your mouth repeatedly.
- Make sure that you are holding the solution for 20-25 seconds in your mouth, before spitting it out, to get the best outcome of it.
9. Licorice for IBS:
IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is an intestinal disorder that commences of several other digestive problems, like bloating, indigestion, abdominal pain, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, etc. in this illness, bowel movement of the human body turns irregular and give trouble to produce enough stools in a single day. The essential properties of licorice root normalize the gastrointestinal tract; regularize the bowel movement and soothing the irritation of digestive tract expertly. The medicinal compounds of this root also provide a protective coat on the entire bowel portion from the attack of gastrointestinal disorders, and this way, diminish the possibilities of IBS from its root. Let’s check out how to apply licorice in Irritable Bowel Syndrome-
- Take an almost 1-inch piece of licorice root and wash it off thoroughly with normal water first.
- Now, chew it directly finely in your mouth and swallow only the raw juice extract carefully.
- After extracting the juice, spit up the sediment from your mouth and drink 1 cup of lukewarm water immediately.
- Warm water will fasten the effect of this herb more vigorously.
- Try to follow this process twice a day and you will get rid of IBS within 2-3 days for sure!
10. Licorice for Dry Skin or other Skin Problems:
Licorice root is loaded with numerous skin beneficial components like antimicrobial, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-aging, etc. that’s why it is considered as one of the best natural ingredients to cure plentiful of skin problems unaccompanied!
It works for skin whitening, clearing pigmentation, tighten skin surface, hydrate cells, curing pimples and on many other issues. The mineral content of iron, phosphorus, magnesium, etc. compounds found with this root keep your cells away from dehydration.
The high amount of anti-oxidant properties feed the cells adequately to make them supple and moisture all the time. Let’s check out top most packs of skin nourishment using licorice root as the key ingredient to achieving flawless skin tone naturally-
11. Licorice and Oats Pack for Pigmentation:
- At the initial stage, cook 2 tbsp of oats in a ½ cup of raw milk until they turn soft.
- Now, take out the cooked oats into a small mixing bowl and add 1 tsp of licorice root powder into it.
- Mix 1 tbsp of raw milk either and combine them well to make a thick paste of them.
- Now, apply this paste on your clear face and wait till dry.
- After that, simply wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry gently.
12. Licorice and Olive Oil Pack for Soft Skin:
- Mix 1 tbsp of licorice root powder into 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and make a smooth paste of them.
- Now, clear your face and apply this pack on your entire face, apart from the under eyes or upper eyes area.
- Let the pack dry for 15-20 minutes and after that, rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Apply this pack once in a week and you will get rid of dry skin forever.
13. Licorice and Rice Flour-Rosewater Pack for Acne:
- Mix 1 tbsp of licorice root powder and 1 tbsp rice flour into a small mixing bowl.
- Now, soak the mixture with adequate rosewater and prepare a thick paste from them.
- After getting the paste, apply it on your entire face especially, on the acne-prone portions, apart from the eye areas and let it dry for the next 15-20 minutes.
- When the pack turn dries completely, wash it off with cold water and pat dry gently.
14. Licorice for Weight Loss:
Licorice is effective for losing weight effortlessly because of it’s of anti-obesity agents. The high flavonoid properties of this herb help to break down the stored fat from our body, while the other medicinal properties avert them from accumulating again.
The glycyrrhizic acid, found in licorice lessens the fatty tissues from our body cells and stimulates the already stored fats effectively. The PPAR metabolism of this root burn the fatty cells from our abdominal rapidly than any other slimming methods.
While the high amount of antioxidant properties normalize the blood sugar and cholesterol level expertly. Also, the high beneficial compound of licorice, control the lipid accumulation from out body cells that directly reduce the fattiness from your physic! Let’s check out how to use licorice to get rid of some extra pounds from your body-
- Take 1-5 grams of dried licorice root 3 times a day with one cup of warm water daily.
- You can also take two cups of licorice tea regularly to get the weight-losing effect on your body.
- Take 250 to 500 milligrams licorice extract is preferable for an adult human being when you are taking it in extract supplement form.
- It is no matter you are taking this amount in how much dosages, but try to divide the whole amount evenly into 2-3 parts to avoid the side-effects of licorice from overdosing!
15. Licorice for Liver Detox:
The huge amount of antioxidant and glycyrrhizic acid found in this Ayurvedic component wash out all the toxins from our liver and reduce the possibilities of liver disease more effectively.
When it comes to the matter of detoxification of our liver naturally, licorice herb is considered as one of the best homely methods ever! This root releases a very strong chemical effect in our liver and provides a shield to the organ to keep it away from any kind of harmful reactions.
The medicinal properties of licorice root keep the liver function up-to-date throughout the whole day and prevent proficiently from storing any bad chemicals in it. Though you can take licorice root in tablet form or in raw form or extract form to enhance your health, for liver detoxification, licorice tea is the best way to have!
Check out the precise making procedure below-
- Boil 2 cups of drinking water in a saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Now, add 1 tsp of dried licorice root and let it boil for more 3-4 minutes on similar heat.
- Then, turn the heat off and let the herb steep in the water for 8-10 minutes.
- After that, strain the solution into a cup and add ½ tsp of turmeric powder into it.
- Stir the whole solution once with a spoon and drink as a regular tea.
- Take 2-3 cups a day and your liver will detoxify naturally.
16. Licorice for Joint Pain and Inflammation:
The affluence of anti-inflammatory properties found in licorice makes this herb one of the best home remedies for joint inflammation.
Nowadays, arthritis is a common problem of middle-aged people and they are getting disgusted with the continuous ache and burning sensation in their joints.
Some medicines could give temporary relief but, the to get long lasting appease, licorice root shows its best effectively among the other equivalents.
The therapeutic compounds diminish the free radicals from our joints, promote the production of enzymes into the cells, and reduce the burning sensation progressively.
The glycyrrhizic compounds of this herb blockage the way of pain and inflammation in our joints, that’s way, work so expertly in the curing process of arthritis. Let’s discover how to apply licorice root in the attempt of treating joint inflammation optimistically-
- Boil 2 tbsp of licorice root dust with 4 glasses of water into a large saucepan.
- Now, let the solution cool down properly and then strain it with a large strainer.
- After that, pour in the solution into a bucket and submerge your joint into it.
- After soaking your painful hands or feet or knees this way for half an hour, take it out and apply some anti-inflammation cream on those spots immediately.
- You can also take 2-3 cups of licorice tea regularly to treat the inflammation internally.
17. Licorice for Immune System:
One of most appreciating quality licorice root is that it enhances the immune power of a person spectacularly. Every human body needs to carry a perfect immune structure to keep their whole system properly-working and to keep the organs safely away from any kind of infectious attack.
The glycyrrhizic compounds of licorice herb strengthen the entire immune system fight the signs of any health disorder from every possible manner, whether it is hepatitis C, influenza, HIV, or any other major illness.
The richness of antiviral and antibacterial properties protects your body from any infectious hit and keeps the repertory tract, intestine, digestive tract and other imperative routes clear from any kind of mucus or germs effectively. Let’s check out how to use this thing to enhance the immune power naturally-
- Take 1 tbsp of dried licorice root with 1 tbsp of Echinacea root and ½ tbsp cinnamon dust into a saucepan.
- Now, add ½ tbsp of dried ginger into it and mix with 1 cup of water along with 1 cup of organic honey.
- Let the mixture boil for half an hour on high heat and then make the heat slower a little.
- Once the solution starts shrinking, turn the heat off and let it cool down properly.
- After it cools down properly, pour in the solution into an airtight jar and take 1 tbsp of this homemade syrup daily.
- Take this solution 2 times a day for one month and achieve an envious immune system for long extend!
Licorice for Side Effects of Licorice:
Though licorice root comes with plentiful of goodness yet is contains a few harmful side-effects too! Thus, this herb not only enhances your health but, sometimes provide destructions too, especially, if you take too much of licorice at once! Hence, let’s take a look at what kinds of damages licorice could do in high dosage, before applying any of its homemade medications-
- Rouse high spike in our blood and increase the blood pressure uncontrollably
- Instigate high blood sugar
- Force the potassium level to go dangerously low
- Provide weakness and hamper body strength
- Paralysis or partial paralysis
- Uncertain brain damage
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Lower sexual interest
- Sodium retention
- A headache and diarrhea, etc.
Health Benefits of Licorice for Home Remedies