Dehydration is a condition in which our body suffers from the lack of adequate body fluid and gets trouble in the normal functioning of our system(1). According to the medical definition, a human body is built with 70-75% of water and thus, a certain water level is required for all of us to balance that water consistency vigorously.
That’s why an adult human being always advised drinking 2-3 liters of water throughout the whole day along with some fluid foods. Balanced water level not only runs our mechanism properly but also keeps our blood circulation normal and promotes the entire digestion process healthy.
Insufficiency in perfect water level leads several disorders as well as hampering the whole human system badly. So, today, let our discussion elaborate upon this crucial topic of dehydration along with a few useful suggestions on effective home remedies in this regard. Take a look below-
How to Know If You are Dehydrated or the Proper Signs of It:
Basically, we feel thirsty when our body needs water consumption, but according to the medical analysis, thirst is not an apparent sign of dehydration(2) and it also indicates temporary dryness in our throat to the windpipe or trachea. So, there are some other apparent symptoms occur in dehydration, we just need to identify those signs and quench our water requirement before it’s getting worse. Signs those aid us to recognize our body is actually dehydrated are as follows-
- Undefined thirst
- Darker urine
- The decrease in normal urine production
- A headache
- Weakness in muscles
- Sunken eyes
- Faster heartbeat
- Desiccated and dry skin
- Dry sweat or lack of sweating
- Dry tongue and mouth
- Less frequent urination
- Unnecessary stress
- And sometimes unwanted fatigue
- In a child, also seen some soft spot on the top of their skull, along with a few common symptoms of adults.
Causes of Being Dehydrated:
Dehydration simply occurs because of the lack of enough water drinking comparing the water releasing intensity(3). This simple disarrangement could happen due to several reasons and those reasons are called the actual causes of dehydration in a human body. here we are referring some of those commonest causes of dehydration, let’s check them out and get some extra care in such delicate situations-
- Incorporated with diarrhea
- Extreme vomiting
- Excessive sweating
- Heavy urine passing habit or abnormally frequent urination
- Deep injuries in surrounding tissues that leak the fluid outside
- Having high blood sugar level
- Insufficiency in water drinking
- And the imbalance in water fluid consumption comparing to the fluid releasing intensity.
Best Foods in Dehydration:
Although it is clear that dehydration mostly occurs because of the insufficiency in water drinking level, surprisingly, some foods quench that inadequacy more brilliantly than water and keep us hydrated all day long(4).
It has been observed that foods for natural hydration basically depend on your living circumferences like, people who lived in hill need different types of cuisine, while people who lived in ground level need different patterns of foods to stay hydrated.
However, here are referring some helpful foods which are capable of to fulfill your adequate water requirement naturally in both type of living circumstances, let’s check them out and include in your regular diet chart quickly-
- Leafy green, like celery, spinach, kale, parsley, lettuce, etc.
- Cruciferous veggies like cabbages, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- High mineral green veggies like cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, etc.
- Fruits with high water content like watermelon, kiwi, cantaloupe, grapefruit, star fruit, pears, mango, pineapple, etc.
- some colorful veggies with heavy water level like tomatoes, radish, baby carrots, bell peppers, eggplant, etc.
- berrylike fruits like blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, red grapes, etc.
- and some homemade foods with high water content like raw fruit juice, jelly, chicken soup, buttermilk, etc. are beneficial to keep our system hydrated naturally.
Foods to Avoid in Dehydration:
Like hydrated foods, there are some dehydrated foods also existing, which harmfully reduce the water level in our system and increase the possibilities of dehydration badly, those particular foods we must avoid(5) to stay hydrated naturally.
Sometimes, a mild amount of those harmful foods couldn’t hamper our system that much, but they start giving trouble when we consume them in a heavy quantity. However, it is always better to stay away from those foods as much as possible, which consider a source of stress in any further.
Here we are suggesting you a few mentionable ones among them, let’s note down and keep your system dehydration-free naturally-
- Caffeine products
- Cured meat
- White asparagus
- Soy products
- Bouillon cubes
- Fried oily foods
- Drinks with artificial sugar
- Readymade energy drinks
- Snacks with sodium
- High protein foods
- And carbonated products are bad for an uninterrupted hydration process.
Best Home Remedies for Dehydration:
Our each body cell needs water sufficiency to work properly and any type of water shortage could initiate dehydration issue in our body, eventually. Apart from beneficial foods, there are some effective home remedies in our hands, which are skilled in resolving the dehydration issue expertly and instantly. Here we referring the top 5 remedies among them, let’s check them out and keep yourself hydrated innately-
Gulp Coconut Water:
Coconut water is loaded with natural electrolyte properties which dampen our dry cells and hydrate our whole body swiftly. The main reason for using coconut water to rehydrate our body is that this drink gets absorbed by our cells more rapidly than other hydrating drinks. Also, it comes in a low-budget quality and thus, reasonable for the utmost people.
Simply drink 1 glass of fresh coconut water regularly before or after a meal and see how easily you will keep yourself away from any kind of dehydration naturally.
Homemade Electrolyte Drink:
When our body turns dehydrated, it is essential to provide some fluid content to our cells as soon as possible which are rich in minerals and homemade electrolyte drink (mommypotapmus) is exactly that kind. This natural rehydration solution is one more brilliant component to cater an instant hydration effect on our dry cells like coconut water. Let’s find out how to prepare it at home easily-
- Take 2-3 glasses of drinking water in a jug and stir in 2-2½ teaspoons table salt along with 3 tbsp sugar into it.
- Now, mix them well with a large spoon and keeping stirring until you find that the sugar granules are dissolved entirely.
- Now, store this electrolyte drink in a cold place and drink throughout the whole day in mild amounts.
Drink Butter Milk:
Consuming buttermilk is a tasty way to fight the signs of dehydration and keep our system hydrated naturally. It is clinically proven that milk is more effective to rehydrate our body cells than normal water or other drinking solution. It is also inexpensive and provides a natural nutrition value along with quenching our thirst. So, here is an easy-to-follow the recipe of buttermilk which is low in calorie and highly effective rehydrating our body smoothly-
- Take 1 scant cup of milk and add 1 tbsp of white vinegar into it.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes and then, add ½ teaspoon of dried ginger into this milk.
- Combine them well and drink this solution instantly after preparing.
In dehydration, our body suffers from the shortage of a few particular minerals and potassium is the paramount one among them. As banana is a natural source of potassium content thus this sugary fruit actually benefit us in this attempt of rehydration body cells expertly. A banana per day not only soothes the signs of dehydration but also, keeps the grasp of dryness away from our system efficiently.
Simply eat 1-2 ripe banana regularly in your breakfast or you can add banana chunks in your fruit salad or low-calorie dessert instead.
Drink Barley Water:
Barley water is rich in numbers of vitamins and minerals along with some antioxidant properties, which speed up the restoration process of cell rehydration skillfully. The richness of adequate nutrients not only helps to dampen our dry cells but also aids to keep any type of dehydration symptoms away from our system. Let’s see how to drink it properly-
How to make barley water
- Take 1 cup of barley in a saucepan along with 4 cups of water and let them boil for half an hour on medium heat constantly.
- After the certain duration, or finding that the barley looks tender enough, let it cool for a few hours in an open area.
- Now, strain the water from the prepared thing in a glass and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice into it.
- Finally, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink this solution directly like an electrolyte drink.
Another barley water recipe at food52 mint barley water.
How to Avoid Dehydration:
Apart from adding those beneficial foods for natural hydrating materials, there are a few ways which you can apply to stay away from dehydration, as it is always better to take prevention before any mishaps, right? So, here we go with such effective tips n this regard, let’s take a quick look at them-
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily and increase the quantity depending on the temperature of your living place
- Also try to drink more water if, you need to stay outside in that scorching atmosphere for long
- Control your sweating with proper outfit and having appropriate foods or drinks
- Take a water bottle with you all the time whenever you are traveling out
- Take often breaks in a long journey and keep your hydrating your system with adequate drinks and fluids
- Apply wet clothes or tissues on your face, neck and other bare areas to provide an instant coolness in any kind of dizziness
- Keep drinking water frequently in every stressful work, especially in which you need a possibility of having sweat
- Escalate the intake of fluid food in illness, as this type the medicine we take, increase the chance of having dehydration more intensely
- Look out for the dehydration signs vigilantly and then, apply suitable rehydration method properly
- Don’t wait for the thirst and drink water after every couple of hours or a certain duration
- Find out the intensity of dehydration and take proper remedies depending on that, as in mild dehydration drink water or normal sherbet, while in major dehydration, you need to consume effective fluid instead of normal water
- Always be prepared with a few adequate remedies when you are going to a sunny place, like electrolyte water, fruit juice, coconut water, etc.
- Eat foods which contain high water content and eliminate foods which instigate the dehydration in our body cells
- Try to sit or take rest in cool and shady place often in between your works
- And finally, try to be available with minor medical support which you could use in an emergency of dehydration
Homemade remedies for dehydration – Pin it for later