Sciatica is one kind of pain or irritation which we feel in our biggest nerve sciatic and that incorporates the entire lower back portion along with two legs in its grasp, once start hitting your nerve.
It usually starts from the lower back of our body and gradually spread over behind the thighs, below the knees through the buttock area. Though it occurs in a mild form at the initial stage, could turn into serious back trouble over time, if, you keep it unnoticed for long.
Thankfully we have ample of effective home remedies in our stock which are brilliantly effective to cure this nerve disorder expertly.
Apart from the efficient medical remedies, there are several home remedies also available, which are magnificently helpful to get rid of the pain and inflammation of sciatica, so, let’s try them out according to your pain intensity and get back your vigorous form again without wasting a penny on it. take a look-
Reasons for Sciatica:
To cure sciatica, it is crucial for us to know what the reasons for having this nerve pain are; so then, we can treat the disorder from its root. Sciatica could happen for various reasons and it also ends up with varieties of bad consequences, like lumbar disc disease, slipped disc, lumbar spine, arthritis, etc. along with persistence trouble in walking or sitting posture. It generally occurs because of the irritation of the roots of our lower lumbar & lumbosacral spine, which could hit you for various causes, and they are as follows-
- Lumbar spinal stenosis or having a comparatively narrow spinal canal in our lower back
- Spondylosis or irritation in spinal discs
- Having herniated disc
- Degenerative disc disease or dislocation in vertebrae
- Having muscle spasm on back side or buttock
- Carrying heavy fetus during pregnancy
- Having a pinched nerve in a disc
- Having any internal bleeding for any internal injury
- Infection of the lumbar spine
- Irritation in the adjacent bone
- Having tumors on your spinal discs
- Old muscle injuries
- Having piriformis syndrome
- Getting heavy injury to your bones
- Having cauda equina syndrome
- And having sudden trauma like falling from a high place or from the bike, etc.
Home Remedies for Sciatica:
Home remedies leave a remarkable effect on sciatica, especially, in the curing process of it, which not only diminish the symptoms of nerve problem but also, eliminate it entirely from your body over time. The best part of applying these effective home remedies is that they are absolutely free to use and work in a completely painless way too. here we are referring the topmost remedies of this nerve disorder, let’s check them out and try according to your suitability-
There are plenty of ways to get relief from the irritation of sciatic through some exercise and stretching is probably the best one among them. You can try many stretching postures to give the painful nerve a proper hold and cure the disarrangement manually. These types of stretching exercises ease the sensational signs from your back, help to avoid expansive medications and provide a long-term reprieve from nerve pain effectively. Here we are suggesting you the paramount stretching exercises in this regard, let’s take a quick look at them-
- Sitting spinal stretch
- It is a good posture to treat the sciatic nerve properly and reducing its inner inflammation efficiently. In this posture, you need to sit on your hip first on the ground, now keep the legs extended straight and gently bend your right knee and place that leg outside of the opposite knee by keeping the right foot flat.
- Then, put your right elbow on the outside of your right bended knee and place your left hand over the knee as in, you are holding your right knee firmly.
- Finally, turn your body toward the right side, as much as you can and hold that posture within 30-35 second.
- Now, just switch the sides of your legs and keep repeating this same posture similarly for the same duration.
- Standing hamstring stretch
- This is another effective stretching exercise in which, you need to stand in front of an elevated place like a stand or chair or table, ottoman, etc. and place your right leg on that upper place carefully.
- Now, flex your foot downward so then, the leg and the toes seem evenly straight.
- Place both of your hands on your right knee and gently bend your body forward toward your right foot.
- Do the stretch as much deeper as you can bear, hold the posture for 20-30 seconds, and then, get back to your normal position again.
- Now, switch the side and repeat this process similarly with your left leg as well.
- Reclining pigeon pose stretch
- It is probably the best stretching exercise for sciatica treatment, in which you need to lie on your back on the ground first.
- Now, bring your right leg up towards right angle and place both of your hands on your right thigh like you are holding it tightly.
- Lock your fingers on the back side of your thighs and place your right ankle on the top of your left knee.
- Make sure you are lifting your left leg adequately high during this posture by bending the knee slightly.
- Repeat this exercise with the other leg and hold this posture for at least 10 seconds in every attempt.
- Piriformis muscle stretch
- To do this step, lie on the floor on your back, and stretch your legs extendedly by keeping the feet straight towards the floor.
- Keep both hands beside your body, then, gently raise your right leg, bend the knee and put the right foot on the floor exactly outside the opposite knee.
- Now, pull that right knee across the midline of the body using your left hand and keep holding it tightly until you feel the stretch properly.
- Hold this posture for 30 seconds, then, get back to your normal laying position and repeat this process again with rest one as well.
- Scissor hamstring stretch
- This is one more hamstring stretch which is effective on the sciatica signs magnificently, in which you need to stand on the floor straight by keeping your legs apart.
- Now, gently bend your back and hold the left ankle with your right hand and put the left hand on the ground for proper support.
- Hold this posture for 30 seconds, get back to the first standing position again, and then, repeat this process with other leg and hand as well.
Massage can alleviate the pain of sciatica brilliantly and get rid of the irritation of nerve pain in the most relaxing way. You can try several massage types in this regard from professionals as well as at home by your own family members, depending on your pain intensity. Here we are referring you a few simple-to-apply massage ideas which are hugely effective in the reduction of nerve inflammation and could be applied at home easily-
- Hand massage, in which you need some effective essential oil to apply on your back exactly where the sciatic nerve locates and massage that spot gently with soft hand with an upward motion.
- Palm and thumb massage in which you need to take massage from anyone else at the pelvic area. Tell the massager to massage to keep the motion towards the spine and down backward the buttock with the force of your palm and thumb.
- Ball massage in which you need a tennis ball to apply for the Chinese acupressure posture on your lower back. Simply place the ball on the floor, slowly recline on that ball on your back and hold the position for 1 minute continuously.
- Chair massage where you need to sit on a mechanical chair, which is skilled in massaging your backside like a professional massager. This kind of chair mostly focuses on massaging your sciatic never through the whole pelvic area gently.
This is a renowned scientific method to get rid of the pain and irritation of the sciatic nerve. According to the research, this ancient Chinese medication not only gives relief from the back pain or sciatic nerve but at the same time, prevent sciatica from hitting back again on your nerves. In this process, all need to do is that firmly pressing some particular joints of our body, which are directly related backbone as well as sciatic nerve, and they will start treating your whole disarrangement within a minute through a gentle manipulation. Here are the top most acupressure points which are effective for sciatica pain-
- GB 40, which is located exactly on the ankle bone
- B 48, which is located on the top level of buttock on each side
- GB 34, located outside of the lower leg below, under the knee
- GB 30, both sides of your buttock
- And GB 41, which is found on the top of the foot exactly 2-3 inch below the little toe.
Yoga is another primordial way of treating several physical disorders in an easy painless way. The best part of applying yoga to treat sciatica is that it not only cure the nerve disorder but also prevent from coming back again on your back. Regular yoga practice also keeps us vigorous from inside and keep the entire nerves healthily active for all the time. There are many useful poses you can find in this single category which provide instant and effective influence on the sciatic sensation, but we are suggesting you the top 7 postures among them. Let’s validate them from experts and start practicing as soon as possible-
- Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana
- Lotus Pose or Padmasana
- Eagle Pose or Tadasana
- Dolphin Pose or Gomukhasna
- Bharadvaja Twist
- Half moon pose or Utthita Trikonasana
- And Easy pose or Sukhasana
Foods to Eat and Avoid in Sciatica:
Though there is no direct connection with food and nerve disorder, it has been observed that a healthy diet could give you much relief from the nerve sensation of sciatica, while a bad food chart could worsen the signs of this disease hugely.
Of course, we need to apply some effective remedies to get rid of the signs of sciatica, but a few nutritious foods could fasten the whole process optimistically, thus it is essential that we consume some foods which could enhance our nerves internally and could prevent the mild disorders proficiently. Here are two complete lists of helpful and harmful foods in sciatica, let’s check them out and finalize your diet chart accordingly-
Foods to Eat in Sciatica:
- Fiber-rich foods like grain products, lentils, beans, figs, dates, peas, etc.
- Foods rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits, mustard greens, berry fruits, yellow veggies, etc.
- Vitamin A rich foods like leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, carrot, yogurt, etc.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acid, like fatty fish, flaxseeds, halibut, walnut, etc.
- Mineral-rich foods, especially which are loaded with potassium and magnesium content
- Foods rich in vitamin B complex like loaded with B6, B9, B12, etc.
- Some low-fat dairy products like milk, mozzarella cheese, curd, etc.
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juice and healthy fruity smoothies
- Also some tasty unique foods like mushrooms, wheat barn, apricot, alfalfa, etc.
Foods to Avoid in Sciatica:
- Refined grains like white rice, white flour, gram flour, pasta, etc.
- Bakery products like cake, muffins, butter cookies, etc.
- Foods with artificial or added sugar, like beverage, syrup, frozen dessert, candy, soft drinks, etc.
- Saturated fats like fired products, egg, fatty dairy products, processed meat, heavy meats, etc.
- Foods with trans fat like packed foods, canned foods, margarine, vegetable oil, etc.
- And flavored foods, as well as instant foods, are harmful to the signs of sciatica badly.
Is Swimming or Walking is Good for Sciatica?
Swimming and walking both are considered as the influential cardio exercises, which are extremely helpful to treat the signs of sciatica skillfully. Among them, swimming is more effective exercise on nerve problem like sciatica, while walking need a little care during the painful symptoms of sciatica; otherwise, it could worsen the signs harmfully instead of improving them!
Pin it for later