It’s said that eyes can say a thousand words. And so goes true for the dark circles under your eyes that shout aloud about your health, lifestyles and routine.
Dark circles can affect both men and women. From stress, lack of sleep, hormonal changes, a disturbed lifestyle to hereditary factors, there’s a lot more that contribute to shading your eyes dark. If not treated on time, these will not only dull your overall appearance but can also lead to complications of underlying issues.
Though the market is full of chemical based cosmetic products, nature is always a step ahead of everything when it comes to effectiveness, safety, and efficacy of the remedies. And so we list down some easy and doable home remedies which will help you to get rid of dark circles with no side effects.
Home Remedies for dark circles
Apply Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has natural skin soothing properties and it can work effectively along with cucumber to remove even the stubborn dark circles.
- Make some cucumber juice by grating a fresh cucumber and squeezing out the juice .
- Now mix a 1 spoon of this juice with one spoon of aloe vera gel .
- use this mixture for massaging the under eye area lightly for 30 seconds in the area.
- Apply some more of the pack and let it set for 10 minutes before removing with the wet cotton ball .
- finally, wash off with the plenty of water.
Massage Almond oil
A completely natural ingredient that benefits skin around your eyes , almond oil helps lighten dark circles. Combine almond oil or vitamin E oil and your dark circles will be history plus these ingredients really something that’s a staple in every household.
- Before hitting the sack, apply some almond oil over your dark circles.
- Massage it gently into the skin.
- Leave the oil on overnight.
- Wash it with cold water next morning.
- Repeat this every day until your dark circles are gone.
Get Refreshed with Cucumber
Remember those Hollywood movies where are women are seen relaxing at a spa with cucumber slices on their eyes? Well, there is a reason beyond gloss. With skin lightening and mildly astringent properties, cucumbers are completely equipped to fix those raccoon eyes. Better yet, they are soothing and refreshing too.
How to Use Cucumber
- Cut the fresh cucumber into thick slices and chill it about for 30 minutes.
- Place the slice on the dark circles for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the area thoroughly with water.
- Repeat this process twice a day for one week to see the result.
We can also use cucumber as remedy for dry eyes.
Wipe Off Dark Circles with Potato
- Grate some raw potato and extract the juice of the same.
- Now take a cotton ball and soak it in a potato juice.
- Close your eyes and place these cotton balls on your eyes.
- Make sure they cover the entire area of the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Soothing Green Tea Bags
Another simple technique to get rid of the dark circles is using green tea bags.
Using Green Tea Bags
- Soak a tea bag in water.
- Chill it by placing it in the refrigerator for a while.
- Now place them over your eyes.
- Use this remedy on a regular basis to see a considerable difference.
Get Your Glow Back with Honey
- Take a spoonful of raw honey into a bowl.
- A cotton ball should be soaked in a honey and rubbed on the face, especially the areas where dark circles appear.
- After 20 minutes use cold water to wash your face.
Lemon juice has natural bleaching properties that lighten skin with regular use over time. It can be used alone or in combination with other natural ingredients that keep skin healthy, firm, smooth and bright.
- Juice fresh lemons.
- use a cotton ball to apply the juice to skin under eyes.
- leave on 15 minutes ,rinse water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily. For sensitive skin mix lemon juice with water.
- If lemon juice and diluted lemon juice are both too strong try placing lemon slices on the eyes.
Drink Apple cider vinegar
The apple cider vinegar has good nutritional value. Apple cider vinegar can improve circulation so if you have pale skin and your dark circles appear to be prominent, you should try drinking it. This is one way by which it contributes to better circulation making your dermis have a healthy glow. Add two spoons of apple cider vinegar to one glass of cold water or citrus juice and drink it after water.
Apply Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an effective natural ingredient that can help you get rid of the under eye dark circles completely. If you do not have the time to do anything more, opt for this small and easy step and you are sure to see the benefits within a week of regular use.
How to Use
- Before you go the bed every night clean the under eye area properly.
- Massage with a few drops of coconut oil for 1 minute in light circular motion.
- Leave the oil on your skin for the night and wash off with water in the morning.
- you will start seeing improvements in your dark circle conditions within 2 days of using this simple treatment.
Having burning sensation on eyes try home remedies for burning eyes.
10. Cleanse with Jojoba Oil
It seems that you just want to improve your skin condition and eliminate those annoying dark circles. It is true that dark circles make people less confident and more ugly.
And luckily jojoba oil could help with your problem because of its great nutrition and vitamins and most importantly, its permeability, which is what we need.
So, just get some nice jojoba oil and apply it to those areas carefully after cleansing your face before going to bed. Also, try to pay attention to your diet and your work and rest.
Only Healthy Foods on My Plate
Dark circles under your eyes can make you look fatigue and older than you are. Add vitamin A,C,E and K are essential to healthy skin and most effective when applied topically .
Also, consume foods such as eggs, nuts, milk, fish and vegetable oils, potatoes, green leafy vegetables to help your body fight dark circles.
Use Castor Oil to Fade the Dark Circles
Castor oil contains natural fatty acids that rejuvenate skin to fade away the dark circles.
- Wash your face as normal.
- Use fingertips to massage castor oil into under-eye-skin.
- Leave for a few hours or overnight.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon of castor oil with 1 teaspoon of cream.
- Repeat daily.
Use Tomato Juice with Lemon
Tomato the fruit that used like a vegetable is known to naturally possess powerful natural bleaching properties that can lighten skin very effectively.
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one and a half teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Gently apply this mixture on your dark circles and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Follow this remedy twice a day for 2-3 weeks to see results.
Homemade Turmeric Eye Mask
Turmeric is highly appreciated among natural remedies and is considered to be a miracle potion for fighting dark circles. Turmeric is also included on the list of spices that give the specific taste to Worcestershire sauce. However, turmeric is widely used for other purposes than just cooking .
- Mix turmeric with 2-3 teaspoons of buttermilk and make it as watery paste.
- Wash our face and apply the above mixture with help of brush or using fingers.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 mins and wash it with cold water.
- Turmeric may leave a yellow tan but it will fade away in days
Enrich Your Skin with Vitamin E Capsules
Another important vitamin for the treatment of dark circle is vitamin E. This is a fat soluble vitamin and at the same time , a powerful source of antioxidants . its antioxidants capability serves to protect cell tissues from free radical damage.
Environmental pollutants and from the ultraviolet rays of the sun . vitamin e capsules are capable of treating dark circles under the eyes.
- Wash your face and allow it to dry.
- Now clip off the tip of a vitamin E capsule then use your fingertips or a Q-tip in applying the liquid Vitamin E below your eyes.
- This procedure will not only work to soothe and moisturize but also heal the dark circles beneath the eyes.
- You can consume food that are rich in vitamin E such as eggs, nuts, milk, fish and vegetable oils.
One of the main reasons that’s seen for the recurrence of dark circles under eyes is stress, depression and a hectic lifestyle. Yoga and meditation if practiced regularly keeps your mind calm and brings balance the body clock.
Yoga is defined as a series of techniques which stimulate and increase the vital energy . There are some pranayamas for dark circle such as Nadishodhan pranayama, Bhastrika pranayama, anlom-vilom pranayama, seetli and sheetkari pranayama and most important for the dark circle is kapal bhati pranayama, it is the best among all the pranayamas.
Before practicing pranayama, its better to get guidance from a trainer rather a training yourself with videos.
Causes and Why it appears black under eyes ?
Dark circles are caused by tiredness or working too hard or even just staying up late. While this can be true, the truth is that your genes play a huge role here . So what exactly is happening when you get dark circles under and around your eyes.
Simply put periorbital dark circles are a result of the thin layer of skin below your eyes showing the blood vessels and the blood they contain than anywhere else on your body .
Now, as you may or may not already know, the reason veins often look blue; it’s because your skin tissue only lets blue wavelengths of light pass through it. It’s exactly the same concept with the skin below your eyes . Those dark bluish circles are just the result of light being reflected back off the blood vessels sitting just below the surface of that incredibly thin patch of skin . This is the same reason facial bruises are more prominent below or around the eyes; the thin skin just shows the blood from the ruptured blood vessels a little bit clearer.
Some of the more common causes of dark circles under the eyes:
- Dark circles under the eyes can appear in childhood and are often an inherited trait. Some children will outgrow them , but others will not.
- Nasal congestion can dilate the blood vessels that drain from the area around your eyes, causing them to darken.
- Sleep deprivation is the most common cause and the easiest to prevent.
- Oversleeping can also cause dark circles.
- Excessive smoking or drinking can contribute to under eye circles. Also, people who drink too much coffee or who use cocaine or amphetamines may have difficulty getting enough sleep.
- The skin around the eyes is thinner, which is why tour blood vessels are more readily visible through it. For this reason, irregular distribution of the melanin that gives the skin its color can cause dark circles to appear beneath the eyes. This is frequently a problem for people.
- As e get older, we lose some of the fat and collagen surrounding our eyes. This loss, combined by thinning of our eyes, magnifies the appearance of dark eye circles.
Take Home Message in Picture